Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

This is my favourite passage from the entire book, and it's a mighty piece of writing indeed. Everything sounds better in Latin - even my Latin - and this is just great. I've been toying with a translation for years, but there's a lot of it and I have a low attention span. Expect plenty of mistakes here.

Silmarillion:

Last of all Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed; and it is sung that the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it withered, and each time that he slew Húrin cried: 'Aurë entuluva! Day shall come again!' Seventy times he uttered that cry; but they took him at last alive, by the command of Morgoth, for the Orcs grappled him with their hands, which clung to him still though he hewed off their arms; and ever their numbers were renewed, until at last he fell buried beneath them. Then binding him, they dragged him to Angband with mockery.

Oh yeah...

English: Last of all Húrin stood alone. Then he threw away his shield, and wielded an axe with two hands, and it is sung that (REPORTED SPEECH!) the axe smoked in the black blood of the troll-guard of Gothmog until it was withered,and each time that he slew Húrin cried: 'Aurë entuluva! Day shall come again!' He uttered that cry Seventy times; but they took him at last alive, by the command of Morgoth, because so many Orcs grappled him with their hands (which clung to him though he chopped off their arms),and ever their numbers were renewed, that at last he fell buried beneath them. Then they dragged him to Angbad with mockery.

Latin
Postremo stetit solus Hurin. Tum scutum iacuit securimque duobus manibus vibravit et dicitur securis in cruore nigero praesidii beluae OF GOTHMOG fumavisse donec tostus esse et EACH TIME interfecisse eum exclamavisse "Aure entuluva! Dies veniat!" Septuagiens conclamavit; at denique ab imperio MORGOTH adhuc viventem capiverunt, quia tot ORCS, eum manibus adhaeresibus etsi membra eorum cecidit luctabantur ut sub eis denique cadeat. Tum ludubrio vinctum ad ANGBAND traxit.

Notes:
You'll see I've tried some of the ole word painting with the first line. Seems punchy to me. After that, I was far too busy worrying about clauses to think about it. I've highlighted all the names and nouns I need to find a translation for - no point in muddling through for now, because if I'm gonna do the lot (she said) these are all words which I will need a lot.

"wield" is a particularly useless Tolkien word, which was hard to find an adequate translation for. Also, I don't think the Romans used axes in warfare, hence a rather bizzare use of "securis" which appears to be more of an agricultural implement. There is probably an author I can look up, who describes fighting enemies with axes, to see what he says.

I did briefly have a meaning dilemma. Was it sung that both the axe smoked and every time he cried, or was it just the axe smoking? I decided to put "day shall come again" into reported speech, as strictly no one was there to see any of this.

"at denique viventem capiverunt" - does this need an "eum" as well? One of the things which always catches me out when translating from Latin is the sneaky fact that participles are used in place of people, so I see no reason why I shouldn't try too.

Questions:

How do you wield something with two hands in latin? Is it just manibus duobus, or is there a special phrase?

Is there a good idiom for "every time"?

Should the entire second half of the passage be in reported speech? I gave up on it, demoralised by my dodgy latin. But if that is strictly what I should be doing, then I'm happy to give it a go. After all, no one was here to see this.

What I've learnt:

Scutum - nt - shield
Securis - f - axe
Vibro, are, avi, atum - wave, brandish
Cano, ere, cecini - sing of
Torreo, ere, ui, tostum - wither, scorch (I wonder whether our word "toasted" comes from the passive infinitive here, "tostum" - to have been scorched?)
Fumo, are - to smoke
Cruor, m - blood (sounded better than sanguinis, not sure why)
Ater, niger and sordidus - different shades of black
Praesidium, -i - guard
Custodia, f, - guard
Luctor, ari - to grapple
Adhaerere - cling
Vincio, cire, xi, ctum

The optative subjunctive expresses wishes, often with utinam (negative ne)
Present and perfect are used for a wish for the future
Imperfect are used for a wish that something were so now
And the pluperfect a wish that somehting had been so in the past.

In indirect statement: Present infinitive used in place of present verbs, future for future, perfect for anything in the past. If the word introducing indirect speech is passive (though not deponant), the subject stays in the nominative - which is why I've got securis, not securim after "dicitur"

In addition, I found a nasty set of verbs:
Iaceo, ere, ui - to lie
Iacio, ere, ieci, iactum - to throw
Iacto, are, avi, atum - to toss about

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home